ZANZIBAR: THE 22nd edition of the Sauti za Busara Music Festival is set to make even more waves than
this year’s festival, with an exciting lineup of groups and bands from across Africa celebrating their cultural heritage at the historic Old Fort in Zanzibar.Lorenz Herrmann, the Managing Director of Busara Promotions, praised his team for setting a high standard of success at the recently concluded music festival.
He highlighted that their efforts resulted in a thrilling and impactful music festival that captivated audiences and left a lasting impression. In his remarks he expressed his delight at being part of Busara Promotions, especially after being appointed as Managing Director last year, taking over from founder Yusuf Mahmoud who had served in the role for about 20 years.
Herrmann noted that his first year of leadership at the festival was memorable, thanks to the support from his team. He said the future looks bright and that they were aiming at doing better and preparing more colourful festival next year. The festival is scheduled to take place from February 14 to February 16, next year.
“The future is bright. African music is setting the trend globally and making waves everywhere. East Africa has a promising future in the music scene, and as one of the leading festivals in the region, we will play our part to promote it further and make it stronger,” he said.
He added: “It is truly astounding what the founder and longtime CEO, Yusuf Mahmoud, together with the Busara team and the wider Busara family have achieved over the past 20 years. Taking on this legacy and bringing it from strength to strength is an enormous challenge,” However, he added, with the united forces of the strong team and new stakeholders, I am positive we can elevate the Festival to new heights.
Further, he acknowledged that his team would not have received such success if it was not for the support of different stakeholders. They would not have been able to achieve such success. The stakeholders were the Zanzibar Government, Fumba Town, an initiative of CPS, CRDB Bank, Kenya Airways, Tigo-Zantel, Ignite Culture and many others.
“We are thankful that we had a lot of stakeholders who came to support the festival. Some have been with us for the past years and there are many more who have joined us this year. “Such support is promising and gives us more hopes for an even bigger festival than this in the coming years.” This year’s Sauti za Busara Music Festival featured a diverse lineup of 25 groups and bands from across Africa, showcasing their rich cultural heritage.
Artists such as Grammynominated singer Made Kuti, daughter of Oliver Mtukudzi Selmor, Tanzanian bongo flava star Sholo Mwamba, and Siti & the Band headlined the festival, captivating audiences with their performances. Additionally, the festival included workshops, panel discussions, and networking opportunities for artists and music lovers to exchange ideas and foster collaboration.
Including workshops, the festival saw great significance as it provided an opportunity for artists and music lovers to exchange ideas, learn from each other, and enhance their knowledge and skills in various areas of the music industry.
These workshops cover a wide range of topics such as music production, marketing, and branding, allowing participants to gain valuable insights and guidance from industry experts. The panel discussions provided valuable insights and discussions for attendees.
They allowed participants to share their thoughts, exchange ideas and collaborate on topics related to preserving cultural identity, advancing the arts sector in East Africa, and finding sustainable solutions.
By fostering collaboration and promoting continuous learning, the workshops contribute to the growth and professional development of the African music scene.
In the course of the three-day festival, two panel discussions were held bringing together cultural and music stakeholders. On the second day of the festival, they discussed how to advance East African music while preserving identity.
Among the panelists were Isack Abeneko, Yusuf Mahmoud, Kema Oyih and moderator Carola Kinasha.
The second-panel discussion was held on the last festival day and discussed what needs to be done to create a more financially independent and sustainable arts sector in East Africa. The panellists were Chiara Guidetti, Gregory Mwendwa, Girum Mezmur and moderator Eddie Hatitye.
These discussions fostered a sense of community and collaboration among the attendees, enhancing the overall experience of the festival and promoting ongoing dialogue about important issues in the field.
No comments :
Post a Comment