Monday, February 8, 2021

Rising Woman: Fatema shares story of her career journey

fatma pic

Fatema Dewji, the director of Marketing at the Mohammed Enterprises Tanzania Limited (MeTL) Group.

By Salome Gregory

Fatema, a young leader with multi-professional experiences, is quite inspirational.  
Wearing a black headscarf, she welcomed us smiling broadly. Her black outfit - complemented by the grey top and black high heels - made her look even more elegant. Salome Gregory is talking about Fatema Dewji, the director of Marketing at the Mohammed Enterprises Tanzania Limited (MeTL) Group. She is an author who has published two books,  TEDx Speaker, founder of Educate, Empower & Inspire, aims at putting successful women in the spotlight - and for others to do the same. Fatema shares her personal career journey so as to inspire other women. Read on...

Please briefly tell us about your career story
I graduated from the University of Georgetown in Finance and Management. The university is renown for politics. I said to myself that, when I am done, I will go and study Politics before I go for a Masters’ Programme. I came back and worked for one year - and I got bored with doing Finance because it was a desk job. So, I started looking at what was happening with CEOs, started looking at distribution and I was talking to people in the Marketing industry. I realised that,  basically, not many people knew about our products. People were not asking for our products. There was no brand awareness and this scared me because multinationals like Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola and others spend so much money on creating a connection with consumers, which is important. I challenged myself to do more market research on our products. The department by then was just me and one designer.   In 10 years, we have grown our department significantly.  I have 50 people working under me in sales & marketing.


What are the challenges which you went through when establishing and running?
It was very challenging. I went through a lot of failures - but from them I learnt a lot. Thanks to my attitude of ‘I don’t know it all.’ So, I was ready to learn from different people of the same industry who have been here for more than 20 years and have worked for multinational companies. Through that I was able to create a room for people to come and teach me regardless my director title. It was learning through humility which has helped me until today. 

 


No comments :

Post a Comment