Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Meet officer who earns Sh20,000 from side hustles, donates it all to charity

Paul Kariuki 
Daniel Muigai Wambui, 32
I’m an officer, but on the side, I’m a musician and visual artist. I have been drawing for as long as I can remember, but only got into singing in 2012. My first song was Baragoi in memory of my comrades who were massacred in the line of duty. It can be difficult juggling my professional calling, my side engagements and books, as I’m currently pursuing a degree in computer science at a Nakuru University campus. I’ve come to learn what matters is making maximum use of my available time while off duty to grow and nurture my passions. With the visual art, I do graphite graphics, charcoal and sometimes coloured pencil artwork. However, I do pencil art most.
Daniel Muigai Wambui, 32: I go by the stage name Don Valtez.
In music, I’m in the gospel industry and go by the stage name Don Valtez. Both of these hustles have challenges of their own. It is difficult for many performing artistes to live off their sweat owing to the stiff competition and corruption in the industry as managers or events co-ordinators deny them their dues. Also, selling tracks to a skeptical public can be difficult as many people don’t hold the police force in high regard. Many also don’t appreciate the effort it takes to come up with a great piece of art. For example, an art piece can cost Sh3,000, but an interested local buyer won’t want to part with this amount, claiming it’s too exorbitant. You’ll find that the highest you can sell it for, even if it’s a masterpiece, is Sh1,000. The side hustles earn me Sh20,000 at most in a month, but I give all this money to charity. It’s important to touch the lives of the less fortunate in our society and leave an impact. 

No comments :

Post a Comment