Former rebel leader Riek Machar (left) and President Salva Kiir during
the swearing-in of Dr Machar as the new South Sudan first vice-president
in Juba April 26, 2016. South Sudan has cautioned the International
Crisis Group for what it termed as biased documentation and reporting on
the country’s implementation of the peace agreement that ended the
civil war in August last year. PHOTO | AFP
By JOSEPH ODUHA
In Summary
- The report says the implementation had already stalled and military confrontation was spreading across the country.
- It adds that conflicts were on the rise in some parts such Upper Nile and Central Equatoria, and were likely to spread further.
- The ICG report warned that the collapse of the peace agreement could seriously impact on the stability of East African Community
South Sudan has cautioned the International Crisis Group
(ICG) for what it termed as biased documentation and reporting on the
country’s implementation of the peace agreement that ended the civil war
in August last year.
The lobby group released a report recently claiming that the
agreement by the warring factions could collapse over disagreements on
the contentious issues.
The report says the implementation had already stalled and
military confrontation was spreading across the country, citing the
recent fighting in Wau town.
It further adds that conflicts were on the rise in some parts
such Upper Nile and Central Equatoria, and were likely to spread
further.
The ICG report warned that the collapse of the peace agreement
could seriously impact on the stability of East African Community (EAC)
and Igad blocs. It called on the main partners to the peace deal to
renew their push for its full implementation.
Report "biased"
But South Sudan Information minister Michael Makuei Lueth
described the report as “bad wish and biased”. “Those who write such
reports wished South Sudan every failure,” Mr Makuei was quoted by the
media in Juba. “They are the warlords who would all the time like to see
the whole country in a crisis so that they benefit out of all that,” he
said.
The main opposition armed group under, Dr Riek Machar, also
issued a statement dismissing the ICG report, saying it was too early to
judge the progress of the implementation of the peace agreement.
“The process is a bit slow, but it needs time. I don’t think
that the research that has come out that the peace agreement is going to
collapse is true,” the deputy spokesman in the office of the First
Vice-President, Mr Nyarji Germelili, said.
No comments :
Post a Comment