Your talents are precious gifts and it it perfectly okay to blow your horn about them. PHOTO | FOTOSEARCH
By SERAPHINE RULIGIRWA-KAMARA
John: “That is a beautiful dress, Christine!”
Christine: “Oh this old thing? You should know I bought it at only two hundred shillings at the market”
Let’s try this again.
Christine: “You did a great job on your presentation earlier, John!”
John: “Really? I quickly put it together last
night. I didn’t have all the facts and Tony was supposed to let me have
the last quarter figures but...” Read: ramble, ramble, ramble.
Two words; “Thank you”.
That is all that is required out of you on
receiving a compliment. Sadly, it is not uncommon to compliment a
person only to have him or her deflect your kind words.
We are not taught to talk about ourselves or enjoy
being the centre of attention. We are completely discouraged from
talking about ourselves. Hogging the lime-light is frowned upon as an
arrogant act that only inconsiderate self-absorbed people engage in.
It starts from a very early age. Mothers
discourage guests from complimenting their pretty little daughters on
their cute looks on the premise that it will “ get to their heads” while
young boys are rarely encouraged.
They are men in the making. They are supposed to
be tough and manly - devoid of the need for frequent praise. So most of
us grow up not knowing what to do with compliments.
Talking about ourselves is a daunting task for many
people. Ask a person to tell you about him or herself and their first
response is to stall on the question.
“Me?” “What would you like to know about me?”.
That is a question, not a reply. Yes, you and not the wall behind you.
I find you interesting and I would like to know more about you.
“I am Christine Ahmed. I help organisations retain
and grow their businesses by providing exceptional service by providing
great service as a customer relationship manager”.
That’s a much better response. Now I know you and
your strengths and will likely think of you when I learn of greater
opportunities in your line of work.
A large part of professional maturity is learning that speaking about oneself is a prerequisite to success in any industry.
One of the first exercises I make clients undertake is to
enthusiastically speak about themselves. The operative word here is
“themselves”, not the companies they work for.
The point is to ensure that one is able to stand on the
strength of their knowledge, abilities and experience without leaning
heavily on the strength of the his/employer’s name.
I am not suggesting that you start harping on about how great you are at every opportunity. Quite the contrary.
While everyone has a responsibility to take care of
their own confidence levels, you do not want those who have some
confidence improvement to do feeling inadequate around you.
That said, refusing to graciously accept
compliments is very rude. The more serious transgression against
yourself is not speaking about yourself. It is a near crime against
humanity.
If others do not know about you and how great your
work and service are, they cannot possibly take the opportunity to
experience your unique offering. This is a great disservice to the
market in which you operate.
Know that you possess your talents for the purpose
of providing services for the greater good which in turn creates benefit
for yourself.
Without that no one enjoys your service enough to
pay you for it. What a shameful waste of your abilities. How
ungrateful can you be to your maker for the abilities that you posses?
Take me for example; the reason I run this weekly
column is to talk about myself. I may not be very direct but I talk
about myself all the same. I write on matters that serve to improve
your personal and professional progression.
Through my articles, I let you know that I am not in the selling business because the proof approach that I employ works best.
By writing about the challenging scenarios that you
face on a regular basis, I show you that I have the skill, the
expertise and the experience to help you become a winning leader.
This way, you know what I bring to the table, you
email to compliment me on my writing. I not only graciously thank you
for your kind words but go on to tell you more about myself and my
programmes.
You engage and pay me, I work with you to help you grow, you indeed grow and prosper, everybody is served.
I don’t know of a better description of a win-win
situation than that. And think that all that good wouldn’t happen if I
didn’t talk about myself in the first place.
Tell the world about yourself. It is the best way to serve and be commensurately remunerated. You’re welcome to start with me.
No comments :
Post a Comment