Irony is, the other Saturday, we found smudges of red lipstick on her
white bed sheets. Then there are the smooch-ish smudges of little lips
on our mirror. ILLUSTRATION | BARASA
I call it the haute eights. That’s the developmental milestone
our eight-year-old daughter is at. (Psst. Sometimes it seems like a
millstone).
On Sundays, Pudd’ng
chooses her church ensemble. Most Sundays she’s on point, others, she
is, um, “ish-ish”. Like the last one. She wanted to wear a red dress
with wedges, and nothing but. She didn’t say it though, not outright.
She just kept overruling the shoes mom suggested. From Pudd’ng’s and
Tenderoni’s “tag-of-wardrobe”, I learnt this - if Pudd’ng does not want
to wear a certain dress or shoes, any excuse goes, coupled with a
performance worthy of an Oscar. That’s the game she played when
Tenderoni kept compelling her to pair a dress with flats.
The Grinch Who Stole Sunday Best
“They’re tight,” she winced, “I can’t walk in them.”
Too
bad. The previous day, baby girl was complaining of back pain, which
made Doctor Mom to issue a fashion decree: no more wedges, a decree that
did not go down well with the patient. Pudd’ng finally settled for a
pair of rubber shoes, only for Tenderoni to play The Grinch Who Stole
Sunday Best and tell her, “You look like a cucu in those rubber shoes
and dress.”
This comment made Pudd’ng
to almost refuse to go to church. She brought it up as we waited for a
bus. “Dah-dee? Do I look like a grandma?”
Seeing as we were going to church, I dished the gospel truth. “You look grand, ma’am.”
Sharing is caring
Toward
the end of last term, for a practical Christian Religious Education
lesson, our daughter’s teacher asked them to carry snacks, which they
would share with their desk mates. As usual, all the way from school,
Pudd’ng kept the reminders coming. Thick and fast.
Come morning, she asked if we had packed extra snacks. “I’ll share them with my desk mate,” she said.
“Guess what my deskmate brought me?” Pudd’ng sang on our way home from school. “It starts with the letter, n.”
Bathrobe gigs
Tenderoni
surprised us with bathrobes the other day. Me? My modus operandi is
shower-towel-done. But the bathrobe’s helping fight the 3.30 a.m. cold,
when my alarm goes off, and I send “knee mail”. (Psst. As a boy, a
t-shirt was as good as a towel).
To Pudd’ng, the bathrobe’s a fashion statement …
“How do I look?”
Hem. Haw.
Now her bathrobe’s got a whole new clandestine gig. I suspect.
Lip service
“Dah-dee? I keep telling mom that lipsticks are made with fish scales,” Pudd’ng reports.
How
she knows that, I don’t know. Irony is, the other Saturday, we found
smudges of red lipstick on her white bed sheets. Then there are the
smooch-ish smudges of little lips on our mirror. Every morning,
you’ll-never-catch-me-dead-with-chapped-lips pupil smears oodles of baby
jelly on her lips. I’ve read the label on the tub and it reads: “Helps
prevent nappy rash”. Nah, I won’t spoil Pudd’ng’s pout, besides, what’s
good for cheeks is good for chapped lips too. I think.
N
is for nail polish. Screamin’ green, to be precise. Which is why, all
the way home, baby girl was excited, talking about how mama would be
jealous. “Dah-dee? At first, my desk mate was reluctant to show me the
nail polish.”
“Why?”
“I don’t know.”
In the evening, we wore our parenting caps. What if the boy took the nail polish without permission? What if …
While
prepping in the morning, I talk with my daughter. I give her words of
wisdom. I assure her we’re not imputing improper motive. “But it’s
always prudent to be sure. Go and ask him, then, if he took it with
permission, you can have it with a clean heart. Deal?”
“Deal.”
Turns out we didn’t have cause to worry, but in such matters, a parent would rather err on the side of caution.
Quick-change tricks
Eight-something
pm. We’re watching our favourite soap, South Africa’s 'Rhythm City'.
Record exec, Doc Dandala’s teen daughter, the gutsy Zinzi, is sprawled
on the sofa in her bathrobe. Doc tells her goodnight. A few seconds
later, Zinzi peels her bathrobe. What’s underneath is every dad’s
nightmare. Hot pants. Sexy top. Stilettos. “That old trick still works,”
Pudd’ng exclaims.
(Psst. Friday nights, if I leave Pudd’ng watching TV in her bathrobe, “that old trick” replays in this old salt’s mind).
No comments :
Post a Comment