Jamila Abass is the CEO and founder of m-Farm. ILLUSTRATION | JOHN NYAGAH |
NATION MEDIA GROUP
By Jamila Abass
In Summary
- M-Farm uses cellphone technology to connect farmers to each other and to markets, helping to ensure that farmers can sell what they grow.
When US President Barak Obama spoke in Nairobi last week,
and extolled the power of entrepreneurship, he called out two Kenyan
entrepreneurs who gave him hope, and referred to women as “powerhouse
entrepreneurs.”
I was one of the two. But what President Obama didn’t know was
that, as a child, every night before I went to sleep, I would pray to
God and ask Him to change me to a boy. And every morning when I woke up,
I would look at myself and see if anything had changed. Nothing did,
and my daily tasks went on as usual.
Looking back, I realise that I was just a little girl praying to
be treated better, to be told you are not limited by the gender role
assigned to you.
I grew up in a patriarchal society in northern Kenya, and that
role as narrow. I wanted the right to be a child just like the boys, and
most of all to be believed in and celebrated — and to be sent to
school.
My brother saw my passion to learn, and slowly persuaded my
father to let me go to class. At the age of eight, I joined the
five-year-olds.
I kept going to class, all the way through graduating from
university with a degree in computer science. Shortly after, I moved to
Nairobi to join the booming community on tech-preneurs.
Everyone was creating something. I wanted to create something
that would help the ordinary Kenyan, the Kenyan who farmed with a
hand-held hoe, without market information, without ready buyers for her
crops — but with a great deal of knowledge about farming, and with a
cellphone in the pocket.
I joined forces with two other young women to create m-Farm, the
mobile platform that President Obama spoke of at the Safaricom Stadium.
M-Farm uses cellphone technology to connect farmers to each other and
to markets, helping to ensure that farmers can sell what they grow.
As a result of m-Farm, farmers who have been stuck in poverty have doubled their incomes. They are investing in their future.
By enabling collective action and entrepreneurship, M-Farm is
encouraging a wave of commercial farming led by smallholder farmers. We
have served 14,000 farmers and look forward to growing 100-fold.
I can honestly say that today is the best day to be a woman
entrepreneur. Ten years ago, women across Africa were considered
second-class citizens.
If a mother had funds to educate one of her children, she would
choose to educate her son over her daughter. If a family had title to
their land, it would be in the husband’s name alone.
Those trends are changing. Not only has women’s empowerment
become a human right but it is also becoming a pathway to achieving
sustainable development of societies. People’s beliefs and actions
change as they see the benefits of equal opportunities for women.
But despite these strides, not all our girls are getting
educated, and still only a minority of our aspiring entrepreneurs can
access funds. Many women in rural areas are yet to benefit from the
support and resources that exist.
In Kenya, for example, 30 per cent of public tenders are for
women, but only 3.8 per cent actually go to women, since this
information is primarily available to the elite.
Even when people change their views — as my father did —
deep-seated structural problems may hold us back, and these problems may
extend all the way to the global market.
Not long ago, an m-Farm co-operative of 200 garden pea farmers
secured a contract with a local exporter who ships to a London-based
supermarket chain. The farmers delivered their produce on time. But when
I met with them to discuss future plans, they were worried and angry.
They had not yet been paid. As I later discovered, the
supermarket chain had not paid the exporter — who then did pay the
farmers once he had been paid.
Without getting paid, the farmers were unable to invest in the
next season’s crops, or even to pay their children’s school fees. One
farmer took me to his house, where his daughter served me tea. She had
been out of school for three weeks. In that young girl, I saw myself —
yearning for the education that would open new doors.
So here we are, at the dawn of a new era — a time when the world
is coming to terms with the fact that women must make big strides if we
are to achieve a better future. Yet poverty remains perhaps the biggest
obstacle to the equality of opportunity we seek, and those who benefit
from the status quo can be slow to change their ways.
Women are powerhouse entrepreneurs, and to realise that power we
need allies that will help to overcome the inertia of vested interests.
President Obama put it best when he said, “In order to create
successful entrepreneurs, the government also has a role in creating the
transparency, and the rule of law, and the ease of doing business, and
the anti-corruption agenda that creates a platform for people to
succeed.”
The success of women entrepreneurs depends not only on our
creativity, knowledge, and commitment, but also on an alignment of
allies across government and business that progressively removes the
structural obstacles to equality and sustainable development, and
replaces them with new systems that take the best from the old. This is
the innovation we need.
Jamila Abass is the CEO and founder of m-Farm
No comments :
Post a Comment