Friday, April 10, 2015

No job in sight, should I go back?

One of the benefits of having walked out is that you have had time to rest and rethink your strategy. Let your having quit not be in vain. Begin by asking yourself what you are really good at. Sit down for a few moments and carry out a personal audit of your strengths and weaknesses and find out what opportunities lie out there that match your God-given talents. PHOTO | FILE
One of the benefits of having walked out is that you have had time to rest and rethink your strategy. Let your having quit not be in vain. Begin by asking yourself what you are really good at. Sit down for a few moments and carry out a personal audit of your strengths and weaknesses and find out what opportunities lie out there that match your God-given talents. PHOTO | FILE 
By FLORENCE KITHINJI
More by this Author
Dear Florence,
I enjoy reading your weekly column on human resource issues in the Daily Nation newspaper on Fridays.
I am currently going through a professional difficulty and I know that your advice shall greatly help me deal with the situation. I quit my job last year in April hoping to get another one soon after but as we speak I am yet to get another job.
It was my first job and I had worked there for three years (2011-2014) before quitting.
The main reason for quitting was a persistent under staffing issue at the branch where I was working hence making it difficult to get out of work on time to attend to other matters like pursuing higher education, networking and family life.
Another reason was lack of career progression. Even after working for three years and emerging as one of the best accounts executives in the whole company, there was no sign of moving to a higher position, an issue that really killed my morale considering that other colleagues from different departments were getting promotions.
Although I knew that it wasn’t a wise idea quitting before getting another job, I was totally exhausted and my motivation level was at zero and therefore quitting was the only viable option then.
However, having stayed out here and finally realising how difficult it is to find a job, I am kind of contemplating on reapplying for a job at my former employer.
I therefore needed to ask for your opinion on whether this is a good idea and how I could go about it if it gets to that point.
Thank you as I await your feedback.
Name Withheld.

Hello,
Thank you for your kind words and for being a faithful reader of my column.
I really sympathise with your predicament and can tell you that it is something very many people go through. You are not alone. Sometimes walking away from a very difficult job is better than working in a very stressful environment. I believe you took a risk walking out.
One of the benefits of having walked out is that you have had time to rest and rethink your strategy. Let your having quit not be in vain.
1. Examine yourself:
Begin by asking yourself what you are really good at. Sit down for a few moments and carry out a personal audit of your strengths and weaknesses and find out what opportunities lie out there that match your God-given talents.
2. Visualise:
Next, ask yourself what you would enjoy waking up to every morning.
Imagine how it would feel waking up to go to a job you really like. Describe that job as vividly as possible. Where would you be? What would you be doing? What skills do you have that match that job? What skills do you need to get that job?
3. Come up with a plan:
Having answered all these questions, ask yourself if you can come up with a plan to get that job. You might require additional training or skills.
If all you need is a good plan and finances, start looking for them. Alternatively you might just need to find someone who already does what you like and partner with them. Whatever the case, do something!
I also noted that you have alluded to issues of under-staffing, lack of motivation to work, too much work, as well as insufficient time for self-development and social life. You also said that staff in  other departments were getting promoted.
Did you try raising these issues with your former boss before walking away? 
These issues need to be addressed because even if you got your job back you’d still confront them. As you reapply for your old job (should you decide to), kindly raise these issues so that you can negotiate around them.
Finally, if your answers led you back to your former employer, by all means reapply for your job!
All the best. And remember, Nothing risked, Nothing gained!
Regards
Dr Florence Kithinji

No comments :

Post a Comment