Friday, June 27, 2014

How barbs and bouquets helped to shape column’s two-year-old journey

Opinion and Analysis
‘‘I  was fascinated by the intellectual debate aroused when I questioned the fading lustre of MBA degrees’’. Photo/FILE
‘‘I was fascinated by the intellectual debate aroused when I questioned the fading lustre of MBA degrees’’. Photo/FILE 
By MARVIN SISSEY
In Summary
  • Readers’ comments have offered invaluable insight and made me a better writer.

This is my 100th Business Daily column. Two years. That is how long it takes to pen 100 weekly opinion articles. Who said time flies, again? Go ahead and award her a medal. She was right.

 
SHARE THIS STORY
0
Share

I sincerely believe that having your opinion on whatever trite matter you consider vital published by respectable press and disseminated to the masses week in, week out, is not a matter that should be taken for granted.
It is a privilege and you, the writer, should remain forever grateful to your readers who spare their time to care about your opinion. Harlan Ellison said, “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
Not until I started penning this column did I get to understand the significance of Ellison’s remarks. There is a world of difference between your opinion and your informed opinion.
This is especially the case if you intend to broadcast your opinion. Thankfully, there is one person who shall always be quick to let you know when you cross the line – the critic.
As Aristotle said, “To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” Another great thinker, Norman Vincent Peale, best known for his book, The Power of Positive Thinking, famously remarked, “The trouble with most of us is that we’d rather be ruined by praise than be saved by criticism”.
Today, I’ll dedicate this column to the critics who, through their mostly constructive feedback, have nourished this column by challenging my style as a writer, my thoughts as a scholar and my practises as an entrepreneur, and in the end shaped me to be a better person.
I’ll be honest from the onset and admit that every opinion piece I write, and I believe I write for my fellow writers when I say this, is nothing but a sales pitch where I am attempting to persuade you the reader to consider and adopt my line of thought.
In the end, however, it never ends up as successfully as was intended. Instead, it becomes a negotiation. Because no sooner are my thoughts published than I get an array of counter-opinions or “qualified support”, some of which are in the public domain.
Ultimately, I have found it a pleasure to consider each and every feedback I get and whenever possible, at the very least, acknowledge receipt.
Let me go down memory lane to reflect on some of my most memorable pieces which created some level of admirable debate. I will take you back to August 31, 2012, when I questioned the wisdom of hiring employees whose grammar was found wanting.
I reckoned that if the job in question was one that required keenness and attention to detail, hiring grammar miscreants was akin to shooting yourself in the foot.
The feedback was quick and fast. I noted a general trend where sticklers who agreed with me tended to be the more senior members of society while the younger generation was more forgiving of the occasional mix-up between “there” and “their”.
I still care about grammar, but I am not as judgmental as I was when I wrote that piece. Fast forward almost a year later to July 19, 2013, and my article headline screamed, “Let hotel owners ban tipping, it is not a Kenyan culture”.
As it turned out, Kenyans care deeply about their food, and anyone who touches it! I had opened a can of worms— this one even found itself as an item of discussion on various morning radio shows – and God knows that the Business Daily barely makes the cut for the kind of topics that are covered on these shows! The feedback was fast and furious, and sharply divisive.

No comments :

Post a Comment