Mr January Makamba.PHOTO|FILE
By Lucas Liganga and Samuel Kamndaya,The Citizen Reporters
In Summary
The Citizen went in search of the two men in an
attempt to capture their feelings about the ranking and the criteria
used to select them.
Dar es Salaam. When, the
world’s most respected business magazine, Forbes, named Mr January
Makamba and Mr Mohammed Dewji among Africa’s 10 most powerful men for
2013, the news was received with mixed reactions here.
A number of questions were raised, especially in
the online debate, along these lines: Are these the most powerful men in
Tanzania and Africa? Where does their power and influence come from?
How is it manifested? Does society feel their power and in which areas?
What’s their social impact, if any? Are they recognised as such by
Tanzanians?
Mr Makamba, the deputy Minister for Science,
Communication and Technology, said he was shocked but felt honoured by
the magazine’s verdict. He told The Citizen this week, though, that he
was not comfortable with the word “power”, given the historical
connotations it carries.
But Mr Devji, the group chief executive officer of
Mohammed Enterprises Tanzania, told The Citizen that his power is
reflected in the massive investment his company has in 11 African
countries.
The Citizen went in search of the two men in an
attempt to capture their feelings about the ranking and the criteria
used to select them.
The 40-year-old Mr Makamba says the ranking was
not about him and was simply recognition of the work he and the other
nine Africans have done across the continent to unite young Africans to
push for the continent’s agenda. “I think the apt word here is
influence. I am not sure society feels my power, but what I can tell you
is that when I speak people listen and you guys write about it,” Mr
Makamba said. The Bumbuli MP added: “I think the idea that your word
carries some weight and people rely on it in their social transactions
is powerful--and I think it is also an immense responsibility.”
The concept of power has been evolving in recent years, he said, and it was no longer about the political position one holds.
“We have seen how irrelevant those can be as far
as influencing action or commanding respect is concerned,” said Mr
Makamba, who was once President Jakaya’s speech writer.
“It is no longer about carrying a big stick and
having a huge entourage. The new kind of power and influence, soft power
if you will, lies in the capacity to inspire and to persuade, and the
capacity to create a wide global network of acquaintances and put it to
work for the greater good.”
Sometimes this happens through sheer force of
personality, he added. “I think the people on the list have been able to
do this. We have been able to advance the idea of African
citizenship--and I believe that any of us on the list can go to any
African city and university and, without much effort, be able to commune
and influence some action.”
Mr Makamba holds a Masters degree in Conflict
Analysis and Resolution from G
“When people, particularly young people, realign
their priorities in life because of you, I think that is powerful--and I
think you should take this responsibility seriously,” said Mr Makamba.
No comments :
Post a Comment