Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Former food seller talks his way to success

Henry Wesonga emceeing at an event. He charges Sh20,000 per event. Photo/Courtesy

Henry Wesonga emceeing at an event. He charges Sh20,000 per event. Photo/Courtesy 
By MERCY GAKII
In Summary
  • When growing up, Wess as he is fondly referred by his clients, used to cook mandazi in the mornings and distribute them to nearby shops before going to school, a business that earned him more bullies than friends.
  • But the mockery did not hold him back from dreaming of being in the league of successful entrepreneurs.
  • He now counts himself among the successful events planners in Nakuru. He charges Sh20,000 per event and has a day job that earns him more money.

For Henry Wesonga, there have been many ups and downs to get to where has.

When growing up, Wess as he is fondly referred by his clients, used to cook mandazi in the mornings and distribute them to nearby shops before going to school, a business that earned him more bullies than friends.

“My pursuit for money saw me help cook the mandazi and sell them even before going to school in the morning. I would get to school and by my smell alone, my classmates would laugh so hard,” says Mr Wesonga.

But the mockery did not hold him back from dreaming of being in the league of successful entrepreneurs.
After high school he joined college to train as a teacher where he honed his public speaking skills.

“At Machakos Teachers’ College I learnt how to present myself to people even those I haven’t met. The skills I got from college helped me build my self-esteem, further propelling my gift of keeping people entertained.

He then tried a hand in teaching.

“I worked for a year in a private school in Nakuru town before starting off my own tuition centre,” he says.
His tuition services became so popular with his centre attracting many students, but Mr Wesong’a’ says his heart was not in teaching. He wanted more outdoor work that involved interacting with people.

“I continued to do emcee work in church and would prepare programmes for weddings, funerals, birthdays. I did a good job well, earning the respect of many people in Nakuru,” says Mr Wesonga, adding that most of his jobs come mostly through referrals.

“I would also network and give out my contacts during functions, and this way I got more jobs that have kept me busy and paid too,” says the events organiser.
During one event, he met a person who opened his success door.

“He asked if I could be organising the events of a non-governmental organisation where he works, and I readily took it up. I am now in charge of their activities all over the country, and this has given me a lot of exposure in my business,” he says.

So far, he counts himself among the successful events planners in Nakuru. He charges Sh20,000 per event and has a day job that earns him more money.

He has managed to plan events in Narok, Nyanza, Nairobi and has saved enough money to buy tents, public address systems for renting out.

No comments :

Post a Comment