Friday, May 17, 2013

I am ready for pay cut, says Cabinet nominee for Health

  Health Secretary nominee James Macharia.FILE
Health Secretary nominee James Macharia. FILE 
By NATION REPORTER


The Cabinet nominee for Health Friday said he was ready to take a pay cut to serve Kenyans in his new capacity.
 
Mr James Macharia, the Group Managing Director of NIC Bank, told the Parliamentary Committee on Appointments he was willing to have his salary slashed to take up “the chance of a lifetime”.

While responding to queries from nominated MP Amina Abdalla, the career banker said: “It is true that I will take a big pay cut…at times, we have to make sacrifices.”

“However, to be nominated to this position is a chance of a lifetime…I am not taking this job for the cash. I am just delighted to submit myself for this position and serve Kenyans as well as give back to the community.”

This prompted South Mugirango MP Manson Nyamweya to wonder whether he will be able to maintain his current lifestyle with a pay cut.

The 53-year-old nominee replied: “I will have to adjust my life. This is an issue I am reflecting on as we speak.”

Mr Macharia promised to ensure universal access to health care by all Kenyans, if his nomination is upheld.
“This will be realised if devolution in the health sector is handled properly. We should bring health services closer to the people and make it affordable,” he said.

And he gave details on how his background in the banking sector will play a major role in ensuring that he delivers in his new docket, while also indirectly answering those who doubted why a banker should lead doctors.

“I have the skill, experience and attitude for this job. I am a manager with a proven track record. Our resources will be managed prudently,” he said.

He said the Jubilee Alliance pledge for free maternity care was deliverable.

“This is a very important and critical pledge. Even though it is too early to indicate specifics , I believe the Treasury will consider setting up a health insurance scheme to implement the promise effectively.”


No comments :

Post a Comment