PRESIDENT John Magufuli yesterday declared a serious battle against drug abuse and corruption in the country, promising to establish a special court for the corrupt and embezzlers of public resources.
“I know the difficulties ahead because
the war I am getting myself into is against powerful people. I need the
support of the Parliament and all Tanzanians to win,” said Dr Magufuli
in his speech to inaugurate the 11th Parliament here.
He said his fight against drugs will not
focus on drug peddlers, but it will instead go for the drug barons who
finance the business that has adverse impacts on particularly the young
on whom the future of the nation relies.
President Magufuli said there was
nothing that Tanzanians hate most like corruption and that they are not
ready to tolerate the government that embraces bribery.
He said although his party, Chama Cha
Mapinduzi (CCM) denounces corruption, “I am not quite sure if today
members within CCM don’t give and take bribes.”
“I have decided to form the special
court to handle corruption and embezzlement cases. And let me warn
people whom I will appoint to various posts, I will fire you outright
and hand you to prosecuting agencies if I find you engaging in
corruption,” he said.
The president decried sabotage in
delivery of public services, citing employees of Tanzania Electric
Supply Company (Tanesco) whom he accused of reducing water in dams to
serve the interest of businesspeople who supply generators and oil to
the power utility.
“I know all about the sabotage at Mtera
dam. Water is always below the required level for power generation
because you release the water at night to help the business of people
who bribe you.
"We will deal with you … and I say I
will personally deal with you,” said the president. He asked Members of
Parliament (MPs) to accept the government amendments on the public
procurement act, which he described as a serious problem in public
procurement. “… that Act is a menace. We must amend it soon and please
cooperate fully when it is brought here for amendments,” he said.
Dr Magufuli maintained his stance on
foreign travel, saying even where there is a pressing need for travel,
only a few officials will be allowed.
“Instead of sending people abroad for
training, why don’t you bring the trainers here,” he queried, sending
the House into laughter.
He described as wastage of resources the
356bn/- that the government spent between 2013/14 and 2014/15 fiscal
years on foreign trips, with Parliament, Ministries of Foreign Affairs,
Finance, Home Affairs, the Prime Minister’s Office and National Audit
Office of Tanzania (NAOT) as the top spenders on overseas travel.
Out of the money, 183bn/-, 104bn/- and 68bn/- was spent on air tickets, per diems and training, respectively.
“The 356bn/- that was spent on foreign
trips could have constructed over 400 kilometres of tarmac road and
imagine how many dispensaries, school desks for pupils and medicines
could have been bought,” said President Magufuli.
He also censured unjustified government
expenditures on vehicles, querying the logic behind an engineer using
the posh V8 car instead of a pickup to the project site
No comments:
Post a Comment