Pages

Friday, June 19, 2015

I want my pension, says ex-MP Abuya

Mr Abuya Abuya, who was Kitutu East MP from 1979 to 1988, speaking to a reporter at Nation Centre in Nairobi on May 28, 2015.
Mr Abuya Abuya, who was Kitutu East MP from 1979 to 1988, speaking to a reporter at Nation Centre in Nairobi on May 28, 2015. PHOTO | BILLY MUTAI | NATION MEDIA GROUP 
He served as a member of Parliament, earning a gross salary of Sh8,500 a month for two terms, but to date, Mr Abuya Abuya has not been paid his pension.
The former Kitutu East MP, who also served on the Electoral Commission of Kenya, says he survives on earnings from his half-acre tea plantation at his home in Kitutu Masaba, with his five children and three grandsons.
Occasionally, he sells part of his land, and he is servicing a bank loan of Sh300,000 that he borrowed to pay for medication after he underwent minor surgery at the Coptic Hospital.
He was MP from 1979 to 1983 and from 1983 to 1988.
“At that time, Parliament used to guarantee a car loan with National Bank for its members. When I was vying for the third term in 1988, I had a loan balance of Sh71,000,” he told the Nation last week in an interview at Nation Centre in Nairobi.
Mr Abuya was among the radical MPs former Attorney-General Charles Njonjo called the "Seven Bearded Sisters". Others were Koigi wa Wamwere, James Orengo, Chelagat Mutai, Chibule wa Tsuma, Mwashengu wa Mwachofi and Lawrence Sifuna.
“When I could not pay the car loan any more, because I was no longer an employee of Parliament, the car was confiscated and I could do nothing about it.”
National Assembly Clerk Justin Bundi said he could not comment on the matter before going through the relevant files.

No comments:

Post a Comment