Members of the Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya and Human Rights
Activists protest at the KICC in Nairobi on December 01, 2010 during the
World Aids Day PHOTO | SULEIMAN MBATIAH | FILE
Barack Obama, as is his genteel fashion,
used very measured words to express his concern over the continuing
killings in South Sudan and the Central African Republic.
The
tone was different when he reacted to last month’s passage by Uganda’s
parliament of an anti-homosexuality law. He immediately slammed it as
“odious
.
.
Not even when Obama’s Republican Party
enemies were pushing the US government to the brink of fiscal shutdown,
and a global financial fallout as a consequence, did he sound so vexed.
I
have nothing really fundamental against gays, the same as I don’t hold
violent feelings against M-Pesa pastors or K-street harlots.
I
am not much of a moralist, so I leave them to their devices. It’s
another thing, though, to force me to shower them with boundless love,
the kind Obama’s political constituency goads him to profess – and is
now decreeing the world follow in lockstep.
Much as
Kenya has existing laws to prosecute extortionists, conmen, prostitutes
and perverts, we have not gone the whole hog like Uganda to legislate
life imprisonment for perceived deviants.
We rarely
even prosecute gays these days. I am quite OK with that. They can even
get married for all I care. Just don’t push it into my face.
However,
I feel thoroughly abused (pun intended) when I am forever bombarded by
foreigners whose sensibilities are different from mine with the message
that my humanity will be judged according to how open-hearted I am to
gays.
You simply can’t force somebody’s affection by fiat. It’s enough that I’m not on the bandwagon that insists gays belong in jail.
During
her last visit to Africa as Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton
famously announced that “gay rights are human rights”. Tony Blair’s
successor as lapdog-in-chief, one David Cameron, followed up with the
declaration that Western donor aid would henceforth be tied to how
Africans treated homosexuals.
(I can’t be sure who
spoke first. Quite often lapdogs can sense what the master wants and do
the necessary before s/he speaks. And before I am accused of being
tasteless, let me hasten to add that the term lapdog in reference to
so-and-so was coined by the British media itself).
Aside from the general lack of subtlety Clinton’s and Cameron’s comments displayed, I have a much bigger problem with them.
Are
gay rights being conflated with epic African struggles like the fight
against colonialism, or apartheid? I have trouble imagining the local
gay chapter (the Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya) or its very
appropriately acronymed Ugandan partner SMUG (Sexual Minorities of
Uganda) being equated with something like the lifelong work of Nelson
Mandela, or Kwame Nkrumah. Wow!
Surely we must have
come an incredibly long way as humankind when sexual preference gets top
billing on par with existential questions of history like the right to
vote or the right not to be colonised.
Once, I had a
discussion on this matter with a cousin of mine who has done heavy duty
in the upper echelons of the local NGO world. She quickly brought me up
to speed on why there was all of a sudden a lot of local advocacy on gay
rights.
This is the new and lucrative frontier of
donor funding, she told me. Still, who in the world can imagine the
likes of Mandela or Nkrumah taking up their causes because of donor
money inducements?
I can’t help but feel that the local
pro-gay commentariat (which decidedly my good cousin is not part of)
are into the thing because it sounds trendy, and it opens donor wallets.
Which
reminds me: one of the reasons Time magazine chose Pope Francis as its
2013 “Person of the Year’, or so it reverently wrote last month, was the
“compassion” he is showing to gays.
It all boiled
down to an offhand quote he gave to a reporter that it was not up to
anybody but God to judge whether homosexual lifestyles were right or
wrong.
A perfectly ordinary remark, I think, which can apply to everybody under the sun, from presidents to bank robbers.
The
magazine even went into a frenzy suggesting that Francis’s papacy may
be the game-changer in winning over “homophobic” Africa to the modern
civilised world of gay tolerance. Jesus Christ have mercy on us!
No comments:
Post a Comment